Oliver C. Hanson
Oliver offers experienced legal counsel in all aspects of dispute resolution. Whether employing his expertise as a litigator, or negotiating commercial solutions, Oliver is adept at resolving disputes that are complex and time-sensitive - always with his clients' business objectives at top of mind.
Oliver provides advice on a broad range of commercial litigation matters, including directors and officers liability, disputes related to corporate governance and shareholder rights, fraud and conspiracy claims, partnership and joint venture disputes, real property and land use issues, as well as securities litigation and securities related frauds.
Oliver was born and raised in the Lower Mainland, and obtained his Bachelor of Arts degree in Criminology from Simon Fraser University in 2001. During his undergraduate days, Oliver worked at a local, boutique firm that assisted children and youths that are permanent wards of the Province with their criminal matters. During law school, Oliver was elected to lead the Criminal Law Project, which provides legal assistance to low income members of the community. Today, Oliver oversees FLG's efforts to provide pro bono legal services and access to justice for individuals of limited means throughout Vancouver.
Outside of work, Oliver spends his time volunteering with South Vancouver Little League as an assistant coach of his son’s t-ball team, enjoying the various eateries of Vancouver’s Fraserhood, or otherwise chasing after his three energetic children.
Oliver is currently a candidate for the Vancouver School Board in the upcoming October election.
- Obtained a rare dismissal of a claim for want of prosecution in a defamation action that had been outstanding for over 6 years; Northwest Organics, Limited Partnership v. Sam, 2017 BCSC 1088; upheld on appeal 2018 BCCA 70.
- Successfully obtained a joint award of $700,000 in security for costs in an action involving allegations of fraud; Wheatland Industrial Park Joint Venture v. Soo, 2016 BCSC 508.
- Obtained an order nisi of foreclosure in a highly contentious dispute where the mortgagor alleged that the mortgage was not binding due to duress and a lack of independent legal advice; Isherwood v. Sauve, 2015 BCSC 2171.
- Successfully obtained a stay of proceedings in favour of arbitration on behalf of one of the beneficial owners of a townhouse complex in Maple Ridge, B.C.; Gulak v. Breckenridge, 2015 BCSC 153.
- Obtained a stay of proceedings on the basis of forum non conveniens on behalf of an Ontario-based importer and fabricator of fine marble, granite and quartz; Colonial Countertops Ltd. v. Maple Terrazzo Marble & Tile Incorporated, 2014 BCSC 752.
- Represented a group of joint venturers in successfully opposing the appointment of a judicial trustee and receiver over lands in Wheatland, Alberta: Wheatland Industrial Park Inc. (Re), 2013 BCSC 27.
- Successfully defended an application to amend pleadings and to add a counterclaim after a trial date was scheduled; Sumel v. Ostara Nutrient Recovery Technologies Inc., 2011 BCSC 1880.
- Successfully negotiated the resolution of a decade long dispute over the valuation of a large, local insurance agency.
- Represented a shareholder of a health and wellness clinic in the successful prosecution of a claim for oppression and injunctive relief.
- Acted for LML Payments Systems Inc. (“LML”) to obtain court approval of a plan of arrangement under the B.C. Business Corporations Act, wherein LML was successfully acquired by Digital River Inc. for $103 million.
Law Society of Alberta (2005)
Law Society of British Columbia (2010)
Canadian Bar Association
Vancouver Bar Association